1 year vs 2 years vs 3 years

mka

Hi 👋🏻
I heard that GSDs stop growing at around 12 months but still filling out until 2.5-3 years old. Curious to see the change, so please share your before after photos.
Thanks!

@mka Yeah, overall he's way less lanky and leggy but it's most obvious in his head/chest area that he's filling out.

Years ago when I had a shelter GSD that had been neutered at 6 months, I recall a GSD forum telling me he had a "very feminine head" and had no idea what that meant (I'd asked, I knew he was byb as the shelter had his pedigree and--yeah no titles, no OFA, and he was 115lb so way out of standard) but looking back now, it's obvious he was neutered young.

Most breeds have some kind of size/feature difference between males and females but man, for me, it's distinctly obvious in GSDs if you have an adult intact male sitting next to an adult intact male.

The first one I had, the one that was neutered at 6 months, definitely had a very feminine head structure.

What they meant, more accurately, wasn't that he looked feminine so much as he still had a puppy face.

As puppies and in early adolescence both sexes look pretty similar. Once they get to around that 2 year mark the differences tend to become more obvious.

Snagged this pic from Google Images as it shows the pretty clear differences between an adult male and adult female.

https://preview.redd.it/5hvrdd7cvsh...bp&s=48fe6918efd74b667ed3cb58f9bfdd997a4517e5

@mka I notice my dogs start to fill up with adult bulk and mass from 3-5 years old. Their frame remains the same but they just lose that gawky teenage lankiness and become more robust. It’s fairly subtle but I do notice it