1 year old (as of literally today) puppy just had her first heat, now my males are interested in her again?

sqs1

She is a toy poodle and had her first heat at 10 months old, which is a little early for her breed. I kept her separated from both my neutered and intact males until she showed no more signs of heat and they displayed no interest in her. In addition to being separated the boys were diapers when inside the house so there is no way for her to have been impregnated. Her heat started around 6 weeks ago.

This morning my sire tried to mate with her and she yelped and snapped at him, the way females usually do when they’re not in their fertile period. Her nipples are slightly swollen, and she has no bleeding or discharge. What’s going on? Is she back in heat?

ETA: in researching I learned about what’s known as a “split heat” which is probably what this is. It’s especially common in first heats and basically they appear to have a normal heat but don’t ovulate, then a few weeks later when it seems to be over they have another, shorter cycle and actually ovulate.

Forget about the diapers guys. They’re for preventing marking in the house, not for birth control. I was just adding that as an additional factor. I would know if he had gotten the diaper off because it would no longer be on him and I would have said “oh, one time I found him out of the diaper could she be pregnant??” Actually I wouldn’t have even made this post because it would be clear that she was in fact almost definitely pregnant. I wouldn’t have mentioned it if I realized everyone would focus on it. It’s the most minor detail.

@sqs1 If I had a nickel for every time, someone told me that their bitch got pregnant while the boy dogs were wearing diapers? I’d have a lot of nickels. Diapers do nothing at all to prevent breeding.

I’d have your vet check her.

@davecb What do you mean they do nothing? They keep their penis in them. It’s never been a problem. But anyway, like I said they are separated AND have diapers.

@sqs1 It’s definitely a good secondary measure but not reliable so am glad to read you are separating them too . My boys can remove their diapers. They get under a chair and rub until the Velcro comes unfastened. I am an in-home breeder for 20 years. The boys can turn in to Houdinis when the female cycles. One dug out of his fence and in to hers but thankfully the diaper was our back up. I put him in the barn as no other choice and he squeezed out of a teeny tiny hole in that fence. Another time he kept escaping and I put out a camera. He was backing up to get a running start, jumped on a steep well pump cover, climbed over another 4 feet of chicken wire, then jumped down 10 feet. He weighs 10 pounds. I had him neutered.

@sqs1 I would have her checked by your vet, boys can smell a uti or vaginitis and be interested in a female. Also diapers on your male will NOT prevent an accidental breeding.