1.5 year old border/aussie only reactive when I’m with her

angelaliens

When I was at the vet she tried twice to bite the veterinarian. She had to be muzzled because of it. When I left the room the vet and her assistant said she was perfectly fine and they were able to take off the muzzle with no issues.

When I’m home with her if she hears the slightest noise in the hallway outside my unit she aggressively barks. But when I’m not home she doesn’t bark. I confirmed this with a tenant who lives below me. My mum visited once when I was at work, and my dog didn’t bark when she was coming up the stairs. When I come come home from work she doesn’t bark when she hears me coming up the stairs either.

I can’t even say hi to someone in passing when I walk her because she immediately wants to lunge at the person.

I try to calm her down and tell her it’s okay in a calm voice. I try to redirect her attention to me by having her look at me and offering her treats. It’s starting to work a little, but we’re still practicing. If I make a clicking sound with my tongue while passing other dogs that tends to work sometimes. I don’t know if making her sit while other dogs pass or if continuing to walk is a better choice. I get frustrated as hell when I have her sit to wait for someone to pass with their dog and they decide to just stand there with a dumbfuck expression on their face looking at me.

I can’t have anyone over, because I’m afraid of how she will act since she thinks everyone outside of myself and my family are an enemy. She’s been like this since she was spayed. I don’t understand. I’ve always owned male pure bread border collies growing up, and they never acted like this. This is the first female border/Aussie I’ve had.

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

@angelaliens Here are the possible reasons I can think of:
  1. She feels more secure around you, and can express herself. Obviously not entirely confident or she wouldn't need to bark/lunge.
  2. Something you do in reaction to her behaviour has (incorrectly) led her to believe this is what you want her to do.
If you are walking and meet triggers, I think your best bet is to keep walking as long as possible, and then at the last minute either arc around the trigger, or move to the side and have her sit. The longer you sit and wait, the more the tension builds up.

As for when she's reacting, just move on as fast as you can. I wouldn't say "It's okay," or anything else, because I don't want to inadvertently encourage my dog. The second she can look at you, that's when you say Yes and Good girl and reward. Maybe run her through some simple exercises so you regain her focus and she gets some easy wins to regain her confidence.

As for noises when at home, what is your current strategy? I've had most success with "Thank you" and having my dog come away from the door/window to get a treat while sitting quietly. But things like white noise may be more helpful for you. In fact, you can try to build more noise into her life (gradually, so she isn't overwhelmed) where hearing noises stops being unusual. For example, my dog used to bark every time the door opened. Then I got roommates who smoke, so the door opens all the time as they come in and out. Now she rarely barks at it at all.

Finally, you mentioned the muzzle. If you haven't already muzzle trained her, I'd recommend doing it ASAP. Having a muzzle on your dog will mean people give you more space, and also give you a bit more confidence.

@angelaliens I recently learned that my half Aussie rarely barks when I’m not home. I went away for a week on a work trip and my partner said she almost never barked. She will not stop when I’m home. It drives me crazy. I have all the same experiences you do and I use the same training tactics. My friend said she thinks my dog has improved a lot since I got her a couple years ago. But it’s still so frustrating. I feel your pain! I wish I had a solution, because I’d also love to know one lol

@trends I literally stay calm and firmly say “Esme no barking” or “that’s enough” Once or twice. My partner does the same thing. If anything, he reacts more to her barking than I do.

@leftydad Sorry if I sounded rude that wasnt my intention. My pup won’t bark at me but barks constantly at my wife when she’s home cause she reacts more

@angelaliens This is gonna sound like an old record from me. 1.5 She's definitely taking and claiming her place in the team...and she's your supervisor.

Again, if you have people willing, even the spouse "pass the pup," make her go out, leave you , hang with friends solo. If you go out with her, let others hold her lead and have her sit by them only instead of you or between you and the friend. If you go in another room, ask your partner to supply distractions or even go for a walk with her so she doesn't obsess about separation in the home. It has worked for my herding/working dogs, but i express again that i am not a trainer. Just speaking from time and experience.

@angelaliens This is my problem too, but somehow I've never bought the story that my dog is protecting me, because he's also reactive towards me, eg at home I have to give my dog space when he's barking and not try to restrain him otherwise he can redirect onto me.

@angelaliens Sounds like your dog may be resource guarding you. Does she only snap/lunge/try to bite when people are near you/walking towards you? Is it when people are just in the same general area as you? Does it happen only sometimes or pretty much all the time when she’s with you?

My dog resource guards me. He will nip or herd people away that walk towards me too fast. He also is a very insecure dog and lacks confidence which I think is where the problem stems from. If your dog is resource guarding you, I highly recommend working with a professional trainer if it’s in your budget. There’s also a lot of really good training resources online and I’m happy to share some of my favorites with you if you’re interested.

Resource guarding can be tricky which is why I always recommend the professionals because they can make a professional judgement and help you come up with an easy to follow plan with steps. I would start with working on her being okay relaxing by herself at home if you aren’t doing that already. Teach her the place command and practice with her at her place while you do things around your apartment without her following you.

@stranger49
My dog resource guards me. He will nip or herd people away that walk towards me too fast. He also is a very insecure dog and lacks confidence which I think is where the problem stems from. If your dog is resource guarding you, I highly recommend working with a professional trainer if it’s in your budget. There’s also a lot of really good training resources online and I’m happy to share some of my favorites with you if you’re interested.

Would you mind sharing your fave resources with me? My doggo is the same, he resource guards me against other dogs but doesn't do this when my partner takes him out. He is also generally insecure and anxious. We have had an initial session with a trainer to start addressing it but I am undecided if they are the best fit for us, so it would be great to have some other resources to look into in the meanwhile!

@angelaliens My BC is way more reactive with me than with my husband. I think it has something to do with him trying to protect me from “scary thing” and for whatever reason he doesn’t feel like he has to protect my husband. This hurts every feminist cell in my body, but I just have to get over it.

For the vet, I meet with the vet in the room to talk through things then have them take him in back to have anything done with an instrument.

For lunging at people I would start by giving her as much space as possible but keep moving and reward for her looking at you. I feed my dog treat after treat when we’re in a situation where he’s stressed. I used to pull off the trail / sidewalk and put myself in between him and the passing dog, but realized that was stressing him out more (because then he’s trapped.). He’ll choose “flight” if given the chance.

For guests, you might try meeting outside, have the guest play with your dog or give her treats (whatever she finds the most rewarding, then have the dog follow the guest inside. Keep a leash on for a while until you’re sure how she’ll be once inside. I find that for herding breeds often it just takes someone becoming part of their herd for the dog to be ok with their presence. Muzzle training would also help everyone feel safe.

@angelaliens Step one is to be conscious of how you try and "calm her". Touch is praise, praise is a reward. If they are rewarded during reactivity, you're just reinforcing the behavior. Think purse chihuahuas barking their head off while mom pets them, and mom is so confused why it won't stop barking...

The dog needs a job to do (commands). Basic obedience sounds like a must. Once you've established some basics in low traffic, low distraction areas, begin to challenge them more in areas where the reactivity becomes more likely. Gradual progress is key, however. Manage your expectations so as to not challenge them too fast.

@angelaliens No advice but empathy, as my border collie/Aussie is also reactive.

She seems to dislike children but REALLY hates other dogs.

With people, she really only gets nervous if they stare at her without talking or she doesn’t hear them coming/gets scared.

I know she is very protective. I think part of it is worse when she is with my partner (she definitely is his dog). That might be part of your case too.