1.5 y/o people reactive pup, is there hope?

spt304

I have an almost 1.5 year old rescue pup, she’s a bloodhound mix and is the sweetest with me and others she met as a puppy. After turning about 8 months old the reactivity started to set in. She is now reactive on leash when she encounters other dogs and growls at people on the street. She’s most reactive when people try to come to the house which is the worst experience and today growled endlessly at my 6 m/o niece.

I’m really concerned and thinking of hiring a new trainer, but is there hope for any of this? I’m worried that I’ll never be able to introduce her to new people and that having children will mean needing to reassess everything. I’m really starting to feel hopeless

@spt304 it is unfortunately impossible to predict how a dog could change with the addition of training / meds, but getting your pup started with a behavioralist and trainer now vs down the road is always going to be the best bet!

as an anecdote, my dog also had really bad stranger danger (and still does to a certain extent) but with meds and training I’ve learned a lot about how to manage her reactions and she lives a much happier, more successful life where she is able to meet strangers, and it is very possible that yours can learn too!

best of luck to you and your pup!

@spt304 My dog (a coonhound) was the same, hired a trainer when he was 7 and now he isn’t reactive. There is 100% hope for it. Are you doing any training to curb the behavior? Hiring a trainer is a good idea, but you also need to put the work in outside of that. Hounds are almost like a working breed so they need direction and leadership from their owner.